Saturday 4 October 2014

You Are Not A Teenager Anymore!

Someone once said that a sister is a best friend that the nature gifts you. As usual, this someone was right; it just took me 18 years to realize it. I don’t remember much about our early childhood, just a few moments:


You were a few months old and in my lap. You peed on my favourite green frock but I did not flinch. I remember not being angry. I smiled.

You turned 2. I was 7 but spent two entire days to make a card for you. It was my sister’s birthday after all!

You were 3 and tore a page of my Hindi textbook. That was the first time I was furious with you. I complained to mum but she said it was okay - you were young. I remember hating you for it.

You were 4. I was thrashed by mum for not studying. You said you won’t eat coz you can’t tolerate mum hitting me. I realized you were an asset, not a liability.

You were 6. I had this huge fight with all the neighbourhood kids. You went outside and beat down a guy THRICE your size into pulp. I thanked my lucky stars.

You were 9. I used one of your birthday cards for my poster. You went into a rage I had never witnessed. We both know you still blame me for it. Lemme tell you a secret today – it was mum’s idea!

You were 11. I left home for coaching for competitive exams. I don’t even know if I am aware of all the things you wanted but sacrificed so that I get to live lavishly. You have no idea how grateful I’ll remain for the rest of my life.

You were 13 and I took a drop. You know how this story goes so let’s not discuss it. Just two words - Thank you!

I was 18 and went to college. All you wanted to talk about was my college and friends and bunks and what not. I did not realize when did I become centre of your life.

I was 21 and was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. You helped me survive, reminded me what I deserve. I still have your messages saved baby.

I was 22 and cracked all the competitive exams. I remember you saying that you are proud of me and it was just the beginning.

I was still 22 and landed the best job in the college. I know you still boast about it to your friends.

Today, you turn 19 and this is to tell you that tables have again turned and you are again the centre of my existence sweetheart. You have been there for me in thick and thin. I remember praying to God for several years that I wanted an elder brother instead of a younger sister and that he should somehow arrange for an exchange to take place, but I realize how silly it was. Today, I wouldn’t exchange you for the world. You are the light of my life baby. I know I don’t talk to you daily and wish you luck for only about one in your six exams, but that doesn't mean I love you any less. Now whenever you are angry, just go through this post. And for the hundredth time, I am sorry I couldn't be with you on your special day. But don’t worry, your shopping account is safe. ;)
Happy Birthday baby! Have a great life ahead! Love you loads.


P. S. I know mum loves you more. I have finally made peace with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment